Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The World’s Fastest Snail



You are looking at a photo of Sidney. (Incidentally, this is how I look when I get up in the morning, but that is a different story.) On July 17, Sidney became a world champion. He raced 13 inches in 3 minutes and 41 seconds. Fast enough to make him the world’s fastest snail. 

Unfortunately, Sidney did not even approach the world record of two minutes. This magnificent feat was accomplished by a snail named Archie in 1995. No one noted if Sidney was crestfallen, when he discovered how much faster Archie traveled.

Ever feel like your life is traveling at a snail’s pace? Do you feel frustrated by how slowly you are accomplishing your goals?

The older I get the more I am convinced there are no big accomplishments. Those things we call big accomplishments are really an accumulation of a lot of small accomplishments.

I have always liked Psalm 118:24, ”This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” One facet of that enjoyment is appreciating the little things I can do to accomplish my goals (hopefully all of which God inspired and are blessings to God.)

“Successful” moments are just that—moments. If we cannot enjoy the journey, they may not be worth the pursuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment