Search This Blog

Monday, October 4, 2010

Quadruple amputee Swims 21 Miles Across the English Channel

That’s the headline I read last week. Philippe Croizon is 42-years-old. Sixteen years ago, he was electrocuted when he touched a power line, while adjusting a TV antenna.

A few years ago, Croizon was watching a documentary on swimming the English Channel. Inspired, he began to dream of accomplishing the same. For two years, he trained using prosthetic flippers and a snorkel for breathing.

Saturday, September 18, Croizon began his quest at 8 a.m. GMT. After 13 hours and 30 minutes, Croizon completed the crossing. What amazes me almost as much is the fact that he finished 11 hours ahead of schedule. That means he planned to swim for 24 hours straight!

The Bible is full of people with excuses—see Adam, Eve, Moses, Jeremiah--and more. I guess that is the human tendency.

Certainly, I am not immune. Still, I’ll think about Croizon the next time I’m tempted to find an excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment