Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Impersonating an Officer

Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven” (Mt. 6:1.)

Recently I read about a man named David Word. He served his community by turning on the siren and lights mounted on his black Ford Victoria and pulling over people. They were guilty, or perceived guilty, of various traffic violations.

One day, David Word ordered Matt Lydic to the side of the road. He warned Lydic to slow down and pulled away. Interestingly enough, Lydic was a police officer who was off duty. Lydic became suspicious and wrote down David Word’s license plate number. On March 16, David Word was convicted of impersonating a police officer.

I think there have been times in my life when I have impersonated Jesus. In the Sermon on the Mount, when Jesus warns against performing godly acts before men, I think what he is saying is godly hearts should match godly acts.

May the day arrive when I consistently and constantly behave like Jesus. May the day arrive when my heart matches that Christ-like behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment