Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Exasperating Your Children


Fathers, don't exasperate your children by coming down hard on them. Take them by the hand and lead them in the way of the Master (Eph. 6:4.) THE MESSAGE

             I have always had a plastic container filled with almonds in my office. At one time, I kept it behind my desk next to the container holding paper clips.
            The almonds’ close proximity allowed me to sit at my computer, turn around, grab me a handful of almonds, turn back around, and get back to work.
            When my youngest children, Timothy and Annie, were little, they would always ask for almonds, whenever they came by the office. One day, I noticed paper clips inside my container, just randomly placed.
            Now, I could not definitively prove who put those paper clips inside my container of almonds, but I had two prime suspects in mind.  “Hmm,” I thought to myself, “I wonder if they are trying to poison me?”
            Time, I think, has demonstrated that they were not. However, Paul’s words are a good reminder to all parents, including me. Let’s be careful we are not too hard on our kids. That is just as much a mistake, as being too easy on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment