Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Reality Bites


The movie that probably epitomized Generation X was the 1994 movie, REALITY BITES. It featured young stars Ethan Hawke and Winona Ryder. It also starred an up and coming young actor named Ben Stiller.

The movie was about the travails of this generation. A deep point of insight came from this quote, which I wrote down years ago so as not to forget. It comes from Ethan Hawke’s character, "Troy":

            When my father found out he had cancer, he gave me this big, pink seashell, and he says to me, “Son, the answers are all inside of this.” And then I realize the shell's empty. There's no point to any of this. It's just a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes.


Much communication lies behind this paragraph. Many of that generation continue to view the world as Troy. Life is empty and meaningless. My hope from the Bible is that there is a better way to view the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment