Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

LETTERS TO THE PASTOR


            I come from a tradition that calls its preacher “brother”, “minister”, “Dr.”, or, as in my case sometimes, “you,”—as in, “Hey, you!” Nevertheless, I recognize many other traditions call their preacher, “Pastor.”
            With that in mind, here are some of my favorite letters, written to preachers called “pastors”, compiled in the 1990s.
                                 
Dear Pastor,
            I know God loves everybody but He never met my sister.
            Yours sincerely,
            Arnold.  Age 8, Nashville. 

Dear Pastor,
            Please say in your sermon that Peter Peterson has been a good boy all week.  I am Peter Peterson.
            Sincerely, Pete.  Age 9, Phoenix 

Dear Pastor,
            My father should be a minister. Every day he gives us a sermon about something.
            Robert, Age 11, Anderson 
           
Dear Pastor,
            I'm sorry I can't leave more money in the plate, but my father didn't give me a raise in my allowance. Could you have a sermon about a raise in my allowance?
            Love, Patty.  Age 10, New Haven 

Dear Pastor,
            My mother is very religious. She goes to play bingo at church every week even if she has a cold.
            Yours truly, Annette.  Age 9, Albany 

Dear Pastor,
            I would like to go to heaven someday because I know my brother won't be there.             Stephen. Age 8, Chicago 

Dear Pastor,
            I think a lot more people would come to your church if you moved it to Disneyland.
            Loreen.  Age 9, Tacoma 

Dear Pastor,
            I liked your sermon where you said that good health is more important then money but I still want a raise in my allowance.
            Sincerely, Eleanor.  Age 12, Sarasota 

Dear Pastor,
            Please pray for all the airline pilots.  I am flying to California tomorrow.
            Laurie.  Age 10, New York City

No comments:

Post a Comment