Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Catch the Ball


            I always had the deepest admiration for Johnny Unitas—one of the greatest quarterbacks who ever lived. Another Hall-of-Fame quarterback, Dan Fouts, backed up Johnny Unitas’ during Fouts’ rookie season. Reflecting on that season, Fouts says:

            “I had the honor of playing with Johnny Unitas my rookie season. For some reason, he liked me. Just watching him was invaluable. Even playing catch with Unitas at practice was a learning experience.
            "The very first ball he threw to me in warmups was a fastball that nearly broke my hands. Johnny told me, 'Always aim for the receiver's nose when throwing a pass.' I asked, 'Why's that?' He said, 'Because if they don't catch it, it'll break their nose. That will make them better receivers.' I learned all of these great little things from him that year.

            The great ones insist that those surrounding them be held accountable!

Source: Peter King SPORTS ILLUSTRATED ONLINE 090511


No comments:

Post a Comment