Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

Lady Astor


            Lady Astor was an American expatriate who married a Brit and served in Parliament. She was known for her wit. A famous quote from her is this, “The penalty of success is to be bored by the people who used to snub you.”
            My personal favorite is when she was alleged to have answered Winston Churchill. Churchill was soliciting opinions concerning what disguise he should wear to a masquerade ball, “Why don’t you come sober, Prime Minister?”
            Remarks like these might have provoked Churchill to supposedly issue one of his most famous remarks:
 
            Lady Astor to Churchill, “If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea." 
            Winston Churchill to Lady Astor, “Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment